The AAS in Paralegal Studies Program offers a well-rounded educational experience that concentrates on the practical skills necessary to become a successful paralegal with a solid liberal arts foundation. It includes well-established core legal and paralegal skills as well as substantive topics of law, including torts and criminal law.
Graduates will be equipped to enter the job market as paralegals in small, mid-sized and large law firms, government, private and public agencies. Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to draft legal documents as well as to conduct legal research both manually and through computer-based research programs. Students will be exposed to legal practitioners with backgrounds in criminal, civil and federal practice.
An essential component of the Paralegal program is the externship experience provided to the students in their last semester. Students will have first-hand experience in courts, notably the Supreme, Civil, Family, Surrogate, Appeals, and Federal Courts. Additional sites are the New York City Law Department, the Police Department and offices of solo practitioners. Externship provides the student with an opportunity to put into practice the knowledge and skills learned in course work at ASA College. Therefore, we work with students to ensure that when they accept their first paralegal position, they are more than ready to face and conquer the challenges attendant to being members of the paralegal profession.
Upon successful completion of the program, a graduate should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Obtain a well-rounded paralegal education that provides students with a balanced offering of general studies, a core paralegal course of study, and additional courses in substantive areas
- Maintain a firm, but flexible educational vision that responds to the ever-changing nature of the legal profession;
- Participate in a top-notch education program that is pragmatic in its application;
- Develop job skills, as well as become familiar with legal theories and principles
- Apply analytical and critical thinking skills as opposed to simply rote learning; to reason, understand, and apply principles
- Acquire proper respect for the legal profession, its ethics, and its foundations
- Ensure professional responsibility through an understanding of ethical legal principles and practices
- Develop a sense of community and an understanding of a population that is diverse in age, race, social and economic backgrounds
- Strengthen written and verbal communication and comprehension skills to communicate effectively with both attorneys and clients.
Graduates of ASA College’s Paralegal Program have a wide selection of career opportunities and advancements. Upon graduation, students will fulfill the necessary educational requirements to become a Paralegal working for a legal team as well as opportunities as a Legal Secretary or Asssistant. Graduates may also find employment in courthouses, hospitals and corporate legal departments.
Furthermore, our Legal Studies Division prepares students for the next step in their academic aspirations if they chose to continue their education on a bachelor degree level and later to law school.
GET MORE INFORMATION
FILL OUT THIS FORM TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PARALEGAL STUDIES DEGREE PROGRAM AND DOWNLOAD PROGRAM BROCHURE
By clicking send me info, I consent to receive email, autodialed and/or prerecorded calls and text messages at the phone number or email provided above from or on behalf of ASA College regarding educational programs. (Consent is not a condition of enrollment.)