Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree Program
ASA College is one of only two colleges in NYC that offer the program
The Ophthalmic Dispenser is an eye care professional who fills prescriptions for corrective eyewear in accordance with the Ophthalmologist’s or Optometrist’s determination. The Ophthalmic Dispenser combines an in-depth study of optics and anatomy with fitting and dispensing knowledge and fabrication skills to ensure that each patient receives a properly fitting pair of eyeglasses or contact lenses.
The program prepares the student for national certifying examinations given by the American Board of Opticianry and the National Contact Lens Examiners. Certification and graduation establish eligibility for entrance to the New York State Professional Licensing Examination for the Ophthalmic Dispensing.
Students train on current instrumentation and machinery, gaining competence in all aspects of Ophthalmic Dispensing from fabrication to the dispensing of the finished product. A clinical internship/externship provides patient contact and dispensing experience.
Graduates of the program will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of current technology, procedures, and practices of Ophthalmic Dispensing ;
- Display knowledge and understanding of the professional ethics of the practice of Ophthalmic Dispensing ;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of acceptable environmental health and safety procedures;
- Exhibit understanding of the principles of refraction;
- Participate in the elimination of hazardous waste and reduction of non-hazardous waste to optimal economic and technical levels and assure compliance with all environmental regulations;
- Successfully complete national certifying examination given by the American Board of Opticianry and the national Contact Lens Examiners;
- Become licensed Ophthalmic Dispensers;
- Secure professional employment;
- Be encouraged to seek positions of leadership in management and ownership.
Required Professional Courses
|Ophthalmic Dispensing I||Ophthalmic Dispensing III with Laboratory|
|Fabrication Laboratory I||Fabrication Laboratory III|
|Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathology of the Eye||Ophthalmic Optics|
|Ophthalmic Dispensing II||Contact Lenses II|
|Fabrication Laboratory II||Principles of Refraction|
|Geometric Optics||Contact Lenses III|
|Contact Lenses I||Ophthalmic Dispensing Internship/Externship (Capstone)|
FILL OUT THIS FORM TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OPHTHALMIC DISPENSING DEGREE PROGRAM
By clicking submit, I consent to receive email, autodialed and/or prerecorded calls and text messages at the phone number or email provided above from or on behalf of ASA College regarding educational programs. (Consent is not a condition of enrollment.)