Division of Legal Studies – President’s and Dean’s Lists Event Dear ASA Community, Join us for our President’s and Dean’s Lists event. The Division of Legal Studies would like to congratulate our students from the Criminal Justice and Paralegal programs who have made the President’s and Dean’s Lists for the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 Semesters. At ASA we understand how hard our students work to balance school, job and family responsibilities, which makes this achievement all the more meaningful. When: Dec...
News & Events
On April 15, 2015, Dr. Edward Kufuor, the Chairperson of the Division of Business was invited to join a a discussion about “Global Public Private Partnership (PPP) Initiatives in Post 2015: Financing for Development Projects” with delegates consisting of leaders from many countries, dignitaries from the United Nations, executives from investment banks, private and public sector companies and international experts The conference was sponsored by the Permanent Mission of People’s Republic of Bangladesh to the United Nations, New York in collaboration with Global NRB USA Inc. and FICS USA Inc. The conference took place at The United Nations Headquarters, New York. Some of the notables who attended are:
- Mr. Abul Maal A Muhith, Minister, Ministry of Finance Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- President Sam Kutesa, the President of the General Assembly, the United Nations
- Dr. Mahbubul Joarder, Chairman, Global NRB USA Inc., USA, and FICS USA Inc., USA.
- Mr. Tafazzul Karim, President Global NRB Inc., USA, President, FICS USA Inc., USA
- H. E. Mr. Oh Joon, ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Korea to the UN
- H.E. Dr. A. K. Abdul Momen, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Bangladesh to the UN
- Mr. Shahriar Bin Muskhles (Lin), COO, Radio Dhol, Bangladesh
- Dr. William van der Geest, Chief Development Strategy and Policy Analysis Unit Development Policy and Analysis Division, UN-DESA
- Mr. Monirul Hoque, Vice President Global NRB & Investment Bank
- Mr. Sulaiman Anjanee, Chairman, Industrial Promotion & Development Corp
- Mr. Sanjay Chaubey, Esq., President, Indo-American Law Association, NY
- Mr. O’Conner, Chief of the Policy and Analysis Branch UN-DESA
Dr. Kufuor’s topic of discussion was the “Accounting Standard Issues”. He traced accounting issues since the birth of the modern accounting system in the 15th century to the present. He about the 1933 Act which empowered the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) to regulate the sale and purchase of financial instruments and also authorizing SEC in the regulation of the accounting standards which led to the creation of the Financial Accounting Standard Board and the creation of the Accounting Codifications. He discussed the signing of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 by President George Bush and its impact on investors, corporations, accountants and auditors.
Dr. Kufuor further spoke about the joint meeting in Norwalk in 2002 by the two boards, Financial Accounting Standard Board and the International Accounting Standard, which is well known as the Norwalk Accord. At this meeting, the “boards” decided to jointly develop a high-quality, compatible accounting standards that could be used for both domestic and cross-border financial reporting. He informed the panel about the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which was signed in 2006 and updated in 2008 where the board identified projects that were considered to be most in need of improvement in the near term which is also known as the convergence. The following were the long-term projects that were agreed upon to be improve:
He discussed the impact which these standards will affect the PPP and PFI initiatives.
Conversation Club Dear ASA students, join us for our Conversation Club! This is a free group meeting for our ESL students from levels B, C & D, who do not speak English as their first language. You can improve your English knowledge, meet new people, and practice speaking in a relaxed environment. You are welcome to join us from the comfort of your own home. (Your family members and Pets are also welcome!). 🙂 Host: Professor Darius Saczuk When: Every Monday, from...
Grammar Club Dear ASA students, join us for our Grammar Club! Our Grammar Club helps ESL students from levels A & B practice basic grammar and communication skills through fun activities. Host: Professor Lucy Sedhom When: Every Thursday, starting on 12/3/2020, from 12pm to 1pm via Zoom. For more information, please email Elena Akbacheva at email@example.com.