Massage Therapy (AOS)
Associate of Occupational Studies Degree Program
ASA College’s Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Massage Therapy is a 65 credit program designed to be completed in five semesters. It meets the New York State Education Department’s required minimum of 1000 clock hours (lecture, lab, and practicum contact hours) and required criteria in all specified content areas.
Onsite internships and off-campus externships provide opportunities for students to practice their skills and prepare for the required New York State Massage Therapy licensing examination.
Students will learn four types of massages:
- Swedish Massage: performed in the direction of the heart, designed for relaxation, relief of muscular tension, improvement of circulation and range of motion.
- Shiatsu Massage: is a pressure-point massage technique developed in Japan, uses pressure and stretching techniques to reduce stress and fatigue, improve circulation, reduce blood pressure and muscle stiffness, and increase stamina.
- Deep Tissue Massage: is aimed at the deeper tissue structures of the muscles and connective tissue. It is similar to Swedish Massage, but more intense. This helps relieve chronic muscle tension or knots.
- Sports Massage: following an athletic event, this type is used to relieve pain, prevent stiffness, and can also be used for injury rehabilitation.
According to the United States Department of Labor Statistics 2016 Occupational Outlook Handbook, the median annual wage of massage therapists was $39,860 in May 2016, and growth is expected to be faster than average, at a rate of 22% from 2014 to 2024.
Massage Therapists can work in a variety of venues: hospitals, nursing homes, vacation resorts, cruise ships, corporate offices, and hotels.
Many Massage Therapists work in clinical practice with physicians, physical therapists, psychologists, chiropractors, and acupuncturists.
Also Consider These Associate Degree Programs
FILL OUT THIS FORM TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT MASSAGE THERAPY DEGREE PROGRAM
By clicking submit, I consent to receive email, autodialed and/or prerecorded calls and text messages at the phone number or email provided above from or on behalf of ASA College regarding educational programs. (Consent is not a condition of enrollment.)
¹Effective Monday, April 13th, the following guidelines apply to student laptop distribution at all ASA Campuses for the Summer 2020 semester only:
- Full-time and part-time active students are eligible to receive a free laptop if they register for the Summer 2020 semester.*
- This extends to students in all programs including those enrolled in ESL, as well as international students.**