How are your study habits? Developing the right studying strategy can be the key to academic success, and the students who achieve the most are the ones who start creating a plan long before classes begin. By taking control of your study habits, you can reach your goals and gain the skills you need to succeed not just in school, but also in your career. Get organized. The first step in creating a good study strategy…
How Nurses Should Deal With Social Media
Social media can be a blessing and a curse. It is a major source of communication, which means that many people view the things that are posted. As a nurse, it is important to maintain a level of professionalism when using this medium. Besides guarding personal information, it is vital to protect patients’ privacy as well. According to the American Nurses Association, “Online content may enhance or undermine the entire nursing profession.” In other words, social media is a valuable networking tool, but it is crucial to use it in a responsible manner.
How to Use Social Media Correctly
– Make Privacy a Priority. Most social media platforms provide privacy settings. Although these are not foolproof, they let you set limits for the people who can view your posts.
– It is essential to use these features to your advantage. However, do not trust them completely. Oftentimes, they allow the wrong people to gain access to your posts.Be Discreet. Although it is fun to post comical screenshots of pictures, some items may be considered distasteful by certain people. Even if your privacy settings are limited to friends, these individuals may become your future coworkers who get offended easily. Always post information about you or your patients with discretion.
– Networking Successfully. Social media is a great way to network with professionals in your field. LinkedIn is one of the best sites to connect with individuals in the medical industry. You can list your experiences and work history, join groups that share your interests, and follow people that you admire. In this way, you may appear like an expert and attract others to your profile.
– Report Breaches. If you witness a coworker posting inappropriate information that compromises the privacy of a patient, it is essential to report this behavior. In the nursing profession, it is vital for patients to feel secure that their medical conditions are treated confidentially.
Incorrect Uses of Social Media
– Posting Patient Information. Nurses must keep the background of patients private. This means that it is inappropriate to post names, addresses, or photos of patients without consent.
– Posting Disparaging Remarks. Most people use social media as a place to vent frustrations. However, it is crucial to avoid posting disparaging remarks. Besides being unprofessional, it can be quite offensive and ruin your reputation in the industry.
– Blurring Boundaries. Although social media platforms were made to help people connect with each other, nurses must maintain personal and professional boundaries. Making contact with patients may be unethical. To avoid problems, many professional nurses have separate personal and work-related social media accounts.
– Capturing Patient Photos or Videos on Smart Device. HIPPA is a series of privacy laws that was created to protect patients’ rights. By taking pictures or videos of patients, a nurse violates these regulations and may face civil or criminal legal action.
By using a bit of common sense, most nurses understand how to properly use social media. A nurse’s goal should always be to protect and respect the privacy of his or her patients. Maintaining a professional demeanor will ensure that a nurse enjoys positive communication and has the opportunity to get ahead in the industry.Request More Info >
Are you happy with your current career path? Whether you’re just starting out or thinking about a change, there’s never a wrong time to further your education. The right career can be rewarding both financially and personally, and it all begins with the right degree. At ASA College, we’re committed to helping people earn degrees that will propel them along their chosen career paths, well-prepared for any challenges in their way. Are you ready to explore what we can do…
Do you have a plan for your life? Are you happy with the trajectory of your current career? Whether you’re just beginning your first foray into the job market, or you are interested in improving your career advancement potential, an education can give you the edge you need to be competitive. Are you ready to open the door to your future? The programs at ASA College are designed for a diverse student body and created to prepare students for academic…